Monday, September 22, 2008

Plans of mice and men

Dan Norris has a couple of tips for Open World attendees. With appropriate apologies, here is my paraphrase: wear comfortable shoes; drink lots (of water); prepare to pare your carried load.

I did just that. I carefully went through the schedule and decided what was most interesting or most important. Put that on my schedule. Signed up for the Information Overload DVD pack to make sure I get all the information I'm missing.

Well, like so many best laid plans of mice and men ... the schedule has gone out the window already. The news about Beehive interested me so much, I decided to visit the Beehive booth at the demo grounds. As a Collab Suite customer who prefers to run a Linux OpenSUSE/KDE desktop, I wanted to see what the future holds.

On the way, I ran into the WebCache group. Good news - they demoed filter rules for the cache. So in addition to LBR, we can look forward to intelligent request handling, including source IP blocking and request redirects. And it sounds like they will confirm to the Oracle management BLAF (Basic Look and Feel) when the admin is handled through the newer releases of Grid Control. From discussions with the booth teach, in the future it will hopefully be possible to assign admin for WebCache separately, which would be a bonus. Traditionally (in my geography) the App Server admin is defaulted to DBA or a general Web Server admin. This change means we could assign the cache admin to a network administrator, which might make more sense for some customers.

I finally worked my way to the Beehive booth, where I learned some exciting news - Beehive does not depend on Outlook. It works with Thunderbird, and some of the team apparently has been using Linux desktops and 'all sorts of front ends'. The only piece of the old Collab Suite still to come is the web conference - aka web desktop - and that should not be that far down the road.

Even though it's officially one-person company, collaboration is still important - CEO, accountant, legal, temps, customers all need access, and simple EMail and unified client OS and environment is simply not enough.

Time to start looking at Beehive seriously.

No comments: