Thursday, July 12, 2012

Data Design Myth-takes - an ongoing list

This post will likely be updated frequently over time. 

It got started because I renewed Oracle Support online today.   Oracle insists that my billing address must be in a certain format.  However, about 2 months ago, I received a letter from Canada Post that I need to get mail addressed a certain way if I wish to continue to receive it - and that way is NOT the way Oracle insists is "the standard format". This will be the third time in 3 years I have had to fight with Oracle about the format of my corporate address. 

Myths about names: 

  • Instead of going through the list myself, I'll kickstart it with an excellent one from Kalzumeus http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

Myths about addresses: 

  • the format the developer wants to use is the correct one, even if it does not agree with the format required by the post office;
  • a commercially available centralized list of city names provides the correct spelling of the city, even when that does not agree with the spelling used by the city council.  My company is in St. Albert, Alberta - the commercial lists do not like the St. abbreviation and insist in "Saint Albert", even though the city council and all maps use St. Albert. ; 

No comments: